by Greg LaBarge, Fulton County
With a winter storm on the way and the chance for ice and heavy snow a reminder on chain saw safety is in order. Before the storm, you may want to check supplies you have on hand replenishing old gas/oil mixtures, chain oil and sharpen or replace the chain.
First, before you start to cleanup any debris, check to see that no power lines are down. If down stay away from the area and call the electric company with location information.
Then keep the following in mind:
- Shut off the saw when moving across uneven terrain.
- Keep both hands on the saw and maintain secure footing.
- Use Personnel Protective Equipment, safety shoes, goggles, hard hat, gloves, chaps, ear plugs, and ear muffs.
- Wear properly fitted clothing. Loose clothing can get caught in a chain or on limbs and branches.
- As you cut watch for bind the blade and any branches under tension that might snap while cutting hitting you directly or driving the saw blade back at you.
- Use a chain saw with proper kick back protections in place.
A more complete listing of items to be concerned about with chain saw safety can be found at: http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/192/pdf/0192_1_06.pdf